Ends on 1/7/2016
Ruminate is excited to announce our sixth annual Ruminate Nonfiction Prize. We invite you to enter your work. The finalist judge will be announced in the coming weeks.
We strongly recommend ordering a past copy of Ruminate to better understand the type of work we are looking for. You can order a nonfiction bundle of print issues featuring our nonfiction prize winners from past years. PDF versions of the magazine are available for $5 each. Issue 35, Issue 32, Issue 28, and Issue 24 all feature our nonfiction prize winners from past years.
- The submission deadline for the prize is midnight January 7h, 2016.
- The entry fee is $20 (includes a free copy of the Fall 2016 Issue, which will include the winning piece).
- You may submit one nonfiction piece per entry and it must be 5500 words or less. There is no limit on the number of entries per person.
- $1500 and publication in the Fall 2016 Issue will be awarded to the winner. The runner-up will receive $200 and publication in the Fall 2016 Issue.
- An anonymous reading of all entries will be conducted by a panel of RUMINATE readers, who will select 10 nonfiction finalists. Those 10 finalists will then be read for our final judge who will select a winner.
- Close friends and students (current & former) of the final judge are not eligible to compete, nor are close friends of the RUMINATE staff. Previous 1st place winners of the Nonfiction Prize and previous judges of the Nonfiction Prize are also not eligible to compete.
- All submissions must be submitted via our online submission form manager. We will not accept mail or email submissions. We do not accept previously published entries.
- All submissions must be previously unpublished.
- You may enter simultaneously submitted work, however, please withdraw your submission immediately if it is accepted elsewhere.
- You may submit any type of creative nonfiction--personal essay, short memoir, literary journalism, etc.
- Winners will be published in the Fall Issue, September 2016.
- We will be notifying all entrants of submission status in late February, 2016.
- Please remove your name, bio, and any contact info from the file that you submit.